SANY - Sensors Anywhere
The European Commission (EC) and the European Space Agency (ESA) have established a joined Global Monitoring for Environment and Security (GMES) initiative. Sensors Anywhere Integrated Project (SANY) will contribute to this initiative by improving the interoperability of in-situ sensors and sensor networks, and allowing quick and cost-efficient reuse of data and services from currently incompatible sources in future environmental risk management applications.
Five major SANY objectives are:
1) Specify a standard open architecture for fixed and moving sensors and sensor networks capable of seamless "plug and measure" and sharing (virtual networks), applicable to all kinds of in-situ sensors, classical and ad-hoc sensor networks, virtual sensors (sensor-like software), roving and airborne sensors, and ensure interoperability between ground and in-orbit sensors.
2) Develop and validate re-usable data fusion and decision support service building blocks.
3) Assure a reference implementation of the architecture, i.e. an on-demand environment for accessing the GMES information and services is operational as GMES building block in 2008.
4) Assure the new architecture is generic and provides added value for end users.
5) Assure the outcome of SANY is accepted by end users and international organisations and contributes to a future standard applicable to GMES.
SANY inherits and extends the results of two high profile EC and ESA infrastructure projects; ORCHESTRA and MASS/SSE. All architecture specifications shall be publicly available and compatible with EC and ESA infrastructure initiatives, such as INSPIRE (standard interfaces with geospatial information) , and Heterogeneous Missions Accessibility project (standard interfaces for EO Ground Segments);
SANY specifications shall be validated by experts trough OGC technical committee and realised in three innovative risk management applications covering the areas of air pollution, marine risks and geo hazards.
Type: Normal Research Project
Research Group: IT Innovation Centre
Themes: Web of Things, Environmental Monitoring, Sensor Web
Dates: 1st September 2006 to 31st December 2009
- decision-support systems
- environmental monitoring
- Generic data fusion
- intelligent risk management
- open sensor network architecture
- open services
- sensor web enablement
- service oriented architecture
- Austrian Institute of Technology, Austria.
- IOSB Fraunhofer Institute, Germany
- SpaceBel, Belgium
- BMT Group Limited
- SOLDATA SA
- Enviro Informatik Group
- OGC Europe
You can edit the record for this project by visiting http://secure.ecs.soton.ac.uk/db/projects/editproj.php?project=941